Liaison Council: Rezan Topaloglu
Liaison ERKNet: Marina Vivarelli
The ESPN Working Group for Glomerular Diseases was formed in 2019 by merging two previously separate working groups, the Nephrotic Syndrome WG and the Immune-Mediated Renal Diseases WG. The newly-created working group is dedicated to improving our understanding of glomerular diseases in children by focussing on educational issues, clinical studies and research related to the pathogenesis and optimal management of all forms of nephrotic syndrome, lupus nephritis, IgA nephropathy, infection-related glomerulonephritis, C3 glomerulopathy, and other rare disorders affecting the renal glomeruli.
The working group unites numerous expert clinicians and researchers from 18 different European countries, and welcomes all ESPN members interested in these topics to join at any time.
There is close collaboration of this WG with the European Reference Network for Rare Kidney Diseases (ERKNet) Working Groups on Hereditary Glomerulopathies and Immune Glomerulopathies and with other scientific societies (e.g. IPNA, ERA-EDTA).
If you are interested in joining, please email Marina Vivarelli. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Working group meetings
- 14 May 2021
Joint ESPN Working Group on Glomerular Disease and Working Group on Transplantation Webinar
Working group reports
- Idiopathic Nephrotic Syndrome WG 2018 Activities
- Idiopathic Nephrotic Syndrome WG 2017 Activities
- Idiopathic Nephrotic Syndrome WG Report, September 2016
- Idiopathic Nephrotic Syndrome WG Report , September 2015
- Immune diseases WG report 2017
- Immune diseases WG report 2016
- Immune diseases WG report 2015
- Immune diseases WG report 2014
- Bouts A, Veltkamp F, Tönshoff B, Vivarelli M.
Pediatr Transplant. 2019 May;23(3):e13385. doi: 10.1111/petr.13385. Epub 2019 Mar 1. PubMed PMID: 30825259.
European Society of Pediatric Nephrology survey on current practice regarding recurrent focal segmental glomerulosclerosis after pediatric kidney transplantation.
- Deschênes G, Vivarelli M, Peruzzi L.
Eur J Pediatr. 2017 May;176(5):647-654. doi: 10.1007/s00431-017-2891-2. Epub 2017 Mar 16. PubMed PMID: 28303389.
Variability of diagnostic criteria and treatment of idiopathic nephrotic syndrome across European countries.
- Marlais M, Wlodkowski T, Vivarelli M, Pape L, Tönshoff B, Schaefer F, Tullus K.
The Lancet Child & Adolescent Health. Published:May 13, 2020DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-4642(20)30145-0
The severity of COVID-19 in children on immunosuppressive medication
- Marlais M, Wlodkowski T, Al-Akash S, Ananin P, Bandi V.K, Baudouin V, Boyer O, Vásquez L, Govindan S, Hooman N, Ijaz I, Loza R, Melgosa M, Pande N, Pape L, Saha A, Samsonov D, Schreuder M.F, Sharma J, Siddiqui S, Sinha R, Stewart H, Tasic V, Tönshoff B, Twombley K, Upadhyay K, Vivarelli M, Weaver D.J, Woroniecki R, Schaefer F, Tullus K
Archives of Disease in Childhood Published Online First: 21 December 2020. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2020-320616
COVID-19 in children treated with immunosuppressive medication for kidney diseases
ERKNet resources for immune glomerulopathies coming soon
Current working group projects
- Retrospective study employing the CERTAIN database, in collaboration with the Working Group on Transplantation, on treatment of FSGS recurrence post-renal transplant (Antonia Bouts, Burkhard Tonschoff, Marina Vivarelli)
- Query on genetic SRNS who go in partial or complete remission with conventional therapy (Marina Vivarelli, Olivia Boyer, Aoife Waters)
- Definitions of INS subtypes (Marina Vivarelli, Georges Deschenes)
- Survey on hypogammaglobulinemia post-rituximab (Alexandra Zurowska): results to be presented at IPNA 2019 meeting
- Lupus nephritis patients’ treatment schedule and long term outcomes (Rezan Topaloglu, Esra Baskin)
- Crescentic GN extended survey (Esra Baskin, Rezan Topaloglu)
- Crescentic GN treatment guideline