ESPN Registry Liaison: Marjolein Bonthuis
Council Liaison: Max Liebau
ERKNet Liaison: Max Liebau
The ESPN Working Group CAKUT/UTI/Bladder Dysfunction was formed in 2013 and is dedicated to improve educational issues, clinical studies and research related to congenital malformations of the kidney and urinary tract, urinary tract infection and bladder dysfunction. Numerous experts, clinicians and researches throughout Europe have joined this Working Group which is open to new members at any time.
There is close collaboration of this WG with the ESPN, the CAKUT and Ciliopathies WG of the European Reference Network for Rare Kidney Diseases (ERKNet), other scientific societies (e.g. IPNA, ERA-EDTA and ASPN) and patient support organisations.
If you are interested in joining, please email Silvio Maringhini including your institution, CV, special interests, and suggetions for the working group.
Working Group Meetings
29th of January, 2021
ESPN WORKING GROUP “CAKUT, UTI and Bladder Disorders
Working group reports
Working group publications
- Michelet R, Dossche L, De Bruyne P, Colin P, Boussery K, Vande Walle J, Van Bocxlaer J, Vermeulen A . Effects of Food and Pharmaceutical Formulation on Desmopressin Pharmacokinetics in Children. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2016 Sep;55(9):1159-70. doi: 10.1007/s40262-016-0393-4. Pubmed.
- Bower W, Christie D, De Gennaro M, Latthe P, Raes A, Romao RL, Taghizadeh A, Wood D, Woodhouse CR, Bauer S. The transition of young adults with lifelong urological needs from pediatric to adult services: an international evaluation. Neurourol Urodyn. 2017 March 36 (3) 811-819 doi: 10.1002/nau.23039. Epub 2016 May 13 ‘IF 2.873. Pubmed.
- F. Yalcinkaya, M. Bonthuis, B.Erdogan, K. J van Stralen, S. Baiko, H. Chehade, H. Maxwell, G. Montini, K. Rönnholm, S. Sørensen, E. Verrina, S. Weber, J. Harambat, F. Schaefer, K. J Jager, J. W Groothoff. Outcomes of renal replacement therapy in boys with prune belly syndrome: findings from the ESPN/ERA-EDTA registry” Pediatr Nephrol. 2018 Jan;33(1):117-124. doi: 10.1007/s00467-017-3770-9. Epub 2017 Aug 4. Pubmed. Full text.
- Montini G, Busutti M, Yalcinkaya F, Woolf AS, Weber S; European Society for Paediatric Nephrology Working Group on Congenital Anomalies of the Kidney and Urinary Tract. A questionnaire survey of radiological diagnosis and management of renal dysplasia in children. J Nephrol. 2018 Feb;31(1):95-102. doi: 10.1007/s40620-017-0417-7. Epub 2017 Jun 24.IF 2,513. Pubmed. Full text.
- Meesters K, Raes AM, Vande Walle JG. What do I need to know about fluoroquinolones for children? Arch Dis Child Educ Pract Ed. 2018 Jul 9. pii: edpract-2017-313513. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2017-313513. (Epub ahead of print). Pubmed.
- K. Meesters, R. Michelet, R. Mauel, A. Raes, J. Van Bocxlaer, J. Vande Walle, A. Vermeulen. Results of a Multicenter Population Pharmacokinetic Study of Ciprofloxacin in Children with Complicated Urinary Tract Infection. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2018 Aug 27;62(9). pii: e00517-18. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00517-18. Print 2018 Sep. Pubmed. Full text.
- Michelet R, Dossche L, Van Herzeele C, Van Bocxlaer J, Vermeulen A, Vande Walle J; SAFE-PEDRUG consortium. Claiming desmopressin therapeutic equivalence in children requires pediatric data: a population PKPD analysis. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2018 Mar;74(3):297-305. doi: 10.1007/s00228-017-2386-0. Epub 2017 Dec 3.
Current working group studies
Registry activities: CAKUT Registry and Biobank (EURECa registry S. Weber, F. Yalcinkaya)
Link with ESPN/ERA-EDTA Registry: Substudy of Progression of Renal Insufficiency in Patients with Congenital Malformations of the Kidney and Urinary Tract (K. van Stralen)
PREDICT-Trial (Initiators G. Montini, F. Schaefer)
Gene Identification Studies in CAKUT (following set-up of the Registry)
Renal tract malformations: from human genomics to novel therapies. Adrian Woolf (under construction).
Proposed research studies
BP dipping in children with congenital anomalies of the kidney and urinary tract. (S. Maringhini, C. Corrado).
Urinary tract infections caused by extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) producing bacteria in European children. (J. Dotis)
Working group guidelines
Guidelines in preparation, in collaboration with ERKNet, on vesicoureteric reflux and renal dysplasia.